In this tutorial we will learn how to download and install
Java and then setting path to make Java programs run.
Downloading and Installing
- Select Accept License
Agreement and then download appropriate version for your operating system.
- After downloading, install the JDK.
- If installation is done properly you can see two files java and javac by going to C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_60bin.
How to set Java path?
To make java programs compile and run you have to set the
path of java compiler. You can set java path in two ways: temporary and
Temporary Java path setting
- Copy the path of bin folder by going to jdk/bin i.e. C:Program
FilesJavajdk1.7.0_60bin. Here jdk1.7.0_60 (will vary according to jdk version).
- Open command prompt and write set path=C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_60bin and then press enter.
- This method will work only one time. After closing cmd you
have to repeat the same process again.
Permanent Java path setting
- Right click on Computer
and then select Properties.
- Then goto Advanced
tab and click on Environment Variables.
- Now click on new
and then in variable name field write path and
in value field write the path of bin folder i.e. C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_60bin
- Click ok to save settings. You have done!
- This will permanently set the path and you can run programs
whenever you want.
Check path setting was properly or not
- You can confirm whether the path setting was properly or
not. Just open cmd again, write javac
and press enter.
- If it will show details about the java compiler then it is ok.
- If it will show and
error like ‘javac’ is not recognized as
an internal or external command then you have done something wrong. Check
the whole process again.